Shopping, seagulls, & more seafood







I forgot to mention that the "tour guide" on the canal cruise was horribly loud. The speaker on the boat was turned up way too high. She really enjoyed hearing herself talk and sing, but she was really annoying. It was definitely a relief to get off the boat to not have to listen to her anymore. 

After our early morning run at yet another park today, we walked over 4 miles from the park to try another Michelin star restaurant that serves pork noodle soup and then back to the hotel. The soup was quite good, and I washed it down with some Thai tea. 

After showering, we took the sky train to Chatuchak market, where I bought 3 tops, a linen jacket, and 2 pairs of pants. We also had "boat" noodle soup, which is called that because it was typically served from a boat. Nui knew the owner's wife, who was there, because she works for the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH). I also finally got to have some mango and sticky rice, one of my favorite desserts. 

We then headed to a fancy coffee shop, where I got an iced matcha with sparkling water before heading to the hotel so I could drop off my purchases. Then we got on the sky train to head to the end of the line to the neighboring province of Samut Prakan, where Thais go to see and feed the seagulls, which are a rare sight as they only make an appearance a few months of the year. You can buy fried pork, which they will eat midflight if you toss it into the air. Nui and I were both skeptical that this was a good addition to their diet. You can walk to the end of a pier and then eat at a seafood restaurant, where we had fish tom yum soup and more crab. We then took a songthaew (truck w/ 2 benches in the back) rather than a taxi back to the sky train. I am able to recall some of the Thai I learned 20 years but mostly it's numbers, a few phrases, and food of course. My back was hurting, so I just returned from a fantastic foot, shoulder, and neck massage. 

Lest you think I'm just here to eat, I actually do have to go to the MOPH tomorrow to meet with the Malaria Chief and her team. Pratin, Nui, and I have also been invited to a preparation meeting they are holding in the morning for all partners so that they can prepare for the Country Dialogue meeting later this month on January 23-24. The meeting is part of the process of renewing Thailand's 3-year Global Fund for TB, Malaria, and HIV funding. At the moment, the current grant has one year left. 

Comments

  1. Glad to hear that you are actually working besides shopping. Can't wait to see your purchases!
    206

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Temple with Monks and Nuns

A regular day by Bryce

All on my own